Lulu Lockjaw

Monday, July 13, 2009

Rollercon 2009

I’m leaving on a jet plane; don’t know when I’ll be back again. Can’t wait, only 15 more days until I plop my happy butt down in that window seat and get the heck out of Santa Cruz for a week. Heading out to Vegas for Rollercon 2009. This will be my second year, and, like I said, I can’t wait. Last year, I didn’t want to come back home. Rollercon is a week of being submerged in derby. Class after class, workshop after workshop, challenge bout after challenge bout. I live and breathe derby, and Rollercon is my heaven.

Last year I took it easy, tested the water. This year I am jumping right into the deep end of the pool. I am more confident in my derby skill level, and I am pushing myself harder this year, and taking more challenging classes. All my classes are advanced classes, and I am confident I can hang with those girls. A few jamming classes and a few blocking classes, taught by the most talented women (and one man) in derby. Plus I have probably signed up for every challenge bout that was put out there on the forum. I just want to play derby, all day.

The real reason I love Rollercon, watching the level of skating that is going to be going on. And the fact that I get to play with and against these derby hero’s of mine. These girls that I read about on DNN, watch on rollersport.tv and browse through thousands of pictures of on Flickr. These are the women that I get my inspiration from before a bout. These are the woman that I look up to, and want to be like. I study their form, their fast feet, their agility, their strategy, I soak it all in. It’s like I’ve been window shopping the most amazing pair of shoes, and now I get to buy them.

Matty and I fly in Tuesday morning, and leave Sunday afternoon. I would say poor Matty, but really all he has to do is lay in front of the pool and drink for five days. Oh, and come watch me skate a few times. And as if my schedule wasn’t full enough while I’m there, we’ve managed to cram in a Motley Crue show at the Hard Rock on Sat night. There are a few things that I want to do, like ride the rollercoaster through New York New York, or head to the top of the Stastosphere, but if it doesn’t happen, I’m okay with that. Really, I just want to skate.

3 comments:

  1. The coaster at New York, New York is pretty gnarly. And rough. But totally worth it. Just don't ride it with a $500 chip in your pocket like I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun . . . I'll be thinking about you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! John will have Matty to hang out with?! We get in late on Thursday night. See you guys there :)

    ReplyDelete